Solar Eclipse over North America, Summer 2017

Dear Folks:

We have a once in every few decades event this summer-a solar eclipse (total) that will be visible across all of North America.

How do you plan to celebrate this rare event?

I’m buying a handful of EU certified eclipse glasses for direct viewing and planning on a direct spectrum capture of the sun’s radio emissions in real time (on 21 Megahertz) that, with luck, can get posted on my web page at a later date.

Never, ever look directly at the sun without a lens certified as safe for such purposes! If you are uncomfortable with direct viewing, a pinhole “sunspot” viewer can be purchased or constructed for use so you can see sunspots and flares in near-real time (about eight minutes later, due to the time it takes light to travel from the sun to the Earth).

Blessings, and may the day be free of clouds for ten or fifteen minutes,

Gordon Cooper
Bremerton WA Far Northwet Corner of the map

When I was a child, I remember creating one of the sunspot viewers and seeing the full solar eclipse–I must have been seven or eight at the time.

I’m not sure, yet, what I’ll do, but I’ll definitely plan for something!

I live less than 30 miles from the path of totality, but that happens to be through eastern Missouri or western Illinois in my case. There is up to a 1/3 chance of cloudy weather on that day. Whether or not my husband and I drive to a public park in the totality region to view the eclipse will depend on the forecast and what the weather is like a couple of hours prior to the event.

If we have good weather for viewing and if I find eclipse-rated glasses before the day, I’ll wear them. Otherwise I’ll view the eclipse via a pinhole projection until totality and then look at the sun minus glasses. Since we live in the St. Louis metro area and don’t know anyone who has land within the path of totality, I expect the public viewing areas to be pretty crowded if the weather proves good, so no ritual work.

I am lucky enough to have witnessed an annular eclipse from home about 25 years ago, near noon on a clear day. It was eerie. I won’t spoil it for the rest of you by describing in what way so as not to ruin your fun for this total eclipse. :wink:

Claire

My husband and I have a lake house in Kentucy that is smack in the path of the eclipse. Laws in the area have been temporarily suspended so that home owners may rent out their homes for short periods of time. Small towns are planning events, etc. I’m looking forward to the experience. :sun_with_face:

What is the astrological significance of this, anyone know? I’ve heard eclipses are supposed to bring about abrupt change… not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing right now :wink:

I have been anticipating this for a couple of years… and now that we are close, I find myself with no glasses! Ha! I did just order some from Sky and Telescope; https://www.shopatsky.com/eclipse-2017 but they seem to only sell them in packs of 25, which works for me, but may be over-kill for some.

I’ve been pondering this for quite a while, and a few of us asked JMG about it in his last open post on Ecosophia. He said he’d need to check his books when he got them unpacked.

Other astrologers I pay some attention to (Celeste Teal and Austin Coppok, for example) have generally given answers that amount to, “It’s supposed to be big and probably not good, but what exactly it means is pretty unclear.”

I’ve yet to figure out anything clearer, but I’ll be hitting the books to see if I can get some insight.

I’m fortunate that our house in Kentucky is smack in the path of the eclipse. We’ll be headed that way in August. I’ve ordered glasses and they are for sale in most shops in the area. I’m a bit concerned about the predicted influx of visitors on natural habitats.

I’m renting a cabin in Pigeon Forge and driving to the total dark zone about two hours south. I’ll watch with my dogs on a mountain.
-M

Friends of ours who live about an hour away and will experience 2 minutes and 15 seconds of totality at their house have invited us to enjoy the eclipse there. We have obtained 8 pairs of of solar glasses between the 4 of us (two of ours were free) so we are all set. Just hope the weather will be favorable … about a 1/3 chance of clouds here in metro St. Louis on the day.

I don’t yet know what I’m doing. I have a friend coming for the first two weeks of August, but I’m not sure if he’ll still be visiting me then. So once I figure out his plans, I’m going to find a place to be.

@mlfpoet: Want some company?

Like everything in Astrology it depends on your natal chart. The keys to look for in an eclipse reading is look for the four major aspects of oppositions, conjunctions, squares, and trines. Of course it does get much more complicated than the four major aspects. There are a few astrologers out there that would state that the effects of an eclipse will be felt for the duration of six weeks. This theory still needs more evidence from case studies in my opinion to accept. Indeed, you can do case studies in Astrology. Some of the best ones out there are for medical astrology.

This eclipse season brings us two within a fortnight, 14 days, with a lunar eclipse on the 7th of August, and a solar eclipse on the 21st of August. Both eclipses are in Leo which is a fixed fire sign. Known for loyalty to friends, dedication to family, and amazing hair if you are a female Leo. What needs to be pointed out is that the Sun is ruled by Leo. Some Leos’ might not like to have their brilliance covered up, even temporarily, by that pesky Moon on the 21st. As the word fixed would indicate there is a quality of fixed signs not to change much or to be ridged with a resistance to adaptability. The other fixed signs are Taurus for earth, Scorpio for water, and Aquarius for Air.

In celebration of these two eclipses the Two Ravens Study Group is putting on a pot luck and moon ceremony on both days. In addition, I will be reading eclipse charts of the ceremony participants.

Thanks @timothy.wolf, for the overview. Still learning about astrology.

Here’s a link about dealing with eclipses from an astrology site. It’s “pop” astrology, so maybe questionable, but I thought it was thorough and might be good info…

Interesting interview about the eclipse from CNET:

In addition to changes in temperature and light, what are some other things to watch or listen for that people might not think of?

Be attentative to the environment that you are watching the eclipse in. Hopefully, you’re not in the middle of a city. Or, if you are, try to be in a park or something because animals and plants have interesting reactions to eclipses.

You see flowers closing up in the minutes before totality begins, in that dimming sunlight. I’ve seen cows heading back to the barn right before totality begins because light is dropping so much that they think it is sunset. Birds tend to go to roost. I’ve heard crickets begin serenading us five minutes before totality begins…

Also he says that close doesn’t count. He says if you can, get into an area of totality… it’s like the lottery, 99% eclipse or 99 percent of the powerball numbers, you’ve still lost. He rates, of 1 to 10, a partial as a 3, an annular as say a 6, but Totality as 1 million!

If you can get to a zone of totality do it, even if you just have to pull off on the side of the road… it only lasts 2.5 minutes.

CNET article: https://www.cnet.com/news/total-solar-eclipse-mr-eclipse-fred-espenak-august-21-us/

Totality only lasts a couple of minutes, but the entire process is more like two hours.

Also please, please note that state highway departments are begging people not to stop along roadways to watch the eclipse. That’s just too dangerous. They are also asking people in the path not to drive during the eclipse times - for that reason.

I’ve downloaded an app that gives the countdown and facts about the eclipse as it’s happening. I think it’s called Solar Eclipse Countdown.

The MO Dept. of Transportation is telling us not just not to drive around the time of the eclipse, but to plan for a longer than normal travel time to get to wherever we are going, and to plan to arrive way early (by a few hours) if possible and to wait to leave until well after the eclipse ends to cut down on traffic problems. Most of the places holding events will be starting them in mid-morning so people will have something to do when they arrive way early. We arranged to arrive at our friends’ house around 10am because the road to their subdivision is two-lane and curvy and the county park across the street from their subdivision is hosting an eclipse-watching event, and we won’t leave till evening so as to avoid traffic.

I ordered a bundle of EU certified and tested viewing glasses for my friends in the area. We had planned to visit East Washington for a viewing party, but that fell through.

I plan to watch it and observe/record the “dip” in the shortwave and medium wave bands by radio as we get a brief blip of night during the day. That won’t be affected by any clouds .

Blessings on all points of the squiggligons,

Gordon

PS-expect some recordings and visuals on meteor showers by the end of January, posted exclusively for the AODA. With an article explaining how to do it with what you own, or can buy for under $30.00.

I did see the eclipse. I used the glasses on my phone to create videos and pictures. We were at a play park and offered many the use of the glasses. It was an amazing energy. I also made solar eclipse sand.

I learned a lot about the sun and moon energy mixing. I had a huge download that day.

Due to the forest fires North and South, the sky was blood red or ashen grey most of that week.

Six of us sat in lounge chairs in my back yard, wearing our eclipse glasses, and watched for the first times in our lives, live solar prominences just after the eclipse proper passed its dimmest point. Wow! The birds got confused by the onset of night. The shadows crept up into the yard and treeline in an unnatural fashion. It got very, very quiet for a daytime in Bremerton. Fascinating.