For those interested in the Indo-European origins of Druidism

This is a scholarly synopsis of the public lecture I’ll be giving in the Fall on reconsidering Vedic origins. This version will be used in the article I plan on submitting to a scholarly journal at a later date.

The public version will be much more informal in its presentation. Most of the public lecture will deal mostly with the topic of the last sentence but I needed to establish the scholarly relevance here.

I welcome your comments.

Vedarion

The Indo-European languages are the most widely spoken in the world. About 44% of the global population are native Indo-European language speakers and they cover the vast majority of the planet, including practically all of the Western hemisphere and Europe plus the majority of the landmass of Asia and Oceania. Yet at one time they were a small group of people who occupied a very minor part of the globe during the Early Bronze Age c. 5000 BCE. The timing and mechanisms of their spread and the place of their origins are still debated.

This presentation examines new archaeological and anthropological evidence in the past two decades and suggests that the old paradigm of a relatively rapid spread over a relatively short period of time by pastoral nomads is mistaken. It proposes a new paradigm that emphasizes interaction rather than invasions/migrations and that this process occurred over a much longer period of time. It was the spread of a cultural/linguistic group, not a racial one. It is called the Middle Asian Interaction Theory (MAIT). It contends that, while invasion/migration played a role in the expansion, it was not the only factor.

The major impetus for the spread of the Indo-European culture and language involved the adoption of the Indo-European Cultural Package which originally involved long-distance trade and revolutionary cultural and technological transfers along the Proto-Indo-European Corridor among primarily agricultural-pastoral peoples. These included the spread of agriculture, animal husbandry, trade goods, proto-scientific/spiritual worldviews, technologies like metallurgy, wheeled vehicles, and the domestication of the horse. One of the ramifications of this theory is a new understanding about the timelines and cultural identities of the peoples of Middle Asia, particularly South and South Central Asia.

7 Likes

This looks interesting, Vedarion;

A slow assimilation of culture, both voluntary and non-voluntary, would make sense to me - through trade, technology, language, economics, and the sharing of resources or even the scarcity of resources leading to war.
How are you defining ‘Druidism’ in your piece?

-Todd

1 Like

I don’t discuss Druidism in this article. It’s part of a larger set of articles that will deal with all of the Indo-Europeans. This one will focus on the very early Proto-Indo-European period and how it affects South and Central (India and the countries west of it) Asia since they are the most affected. Later articles (and the book) will discuss Europe and other areas.

I define ‘Druids’ as the priests and philosophers of the Indo-Europeans mostly in Western Eurasia. I don’t limit them to just the Celts. I think the Celts were just one of the later Indo-European groups. I think its meaningful to talk of Druids possibly as far back as the Corded Ware or Beaker Peoples (if they turn out to be IE).

All of these Indo-Europeans had remarkable cultural and linguistic similarities reaching across Eurasia to India. So, Druid was just the name of that IE profession in Western Europe.

3 Likes

Ok. Very nice. Are you willing to share the place and time of your lecture? And also how one will be able to access your work?

-Todd

2 Likes

I’d be happy to let you know the schedule … when I know it! :smile:

I wasn’t planning on a lecture tour but some people requested a lecture then word got around. So I don’t really know what this will grow into. My attitude right now is I’ll talk in a couple of places I’ll already be in, but if others want to pay my expenses I could talk anywhere.

Remind me in September and I’ll have a better idea of where I might end up.

This is all really premature to my plans which were not to start lecturing until a couple of years from now once the publications were at the publisher.

1 Like