Owning Land

I did research on them, so the information I have on them is all new information for the most part. I researched what trees would be best for this area and two of them came up … original sugar maple (as they’re not very common around here because they were over-harvested for decades) and the crape myrtle. The crape myrtles are already started in pots, but the sugar maples I need to start from seed and keep in the fridge over winter. All of them will be planted come spring. The green willow tree that was already planted was a gift and not one that I had researched until my hubby bought it for me. I love trees and someday want an orchard and it helps to learn about all of these trees. One of the books for my first year is about trees and it’s teaching me quite a lot. I hope to bring this information with me wherever we may end up. :wink:

6 Likes

Sounds like a hard move, but you’re making the best of it. I went from 12 acres to a small apartment, but I’m hoping to be in a forever home by next summer.

4 Likes

I’m interested in what you are doing. We have 3 acres on the Blue Ridge near Blairsville GA.

Shirley

1 Like

We have 5 acres, and before that, I had 3 acres in Michigan. I’ve also lived in small spaces, apartments, small towns, and even cities. I think that druidry can be practiced in literally any context–and you can always find ways of interacting with nature.

A lot of the way druidry is manifested through me is through the practice of permaculture. I’ll share two blog posts that describe work on my previous land and some of the work we doing on our current land:

Previous land: Permaculture in Action – Five Year Regeneration Model Site (My 3 Acre Homestead) | The Druid's Garden

Current land: Forest Regeneration at the Druid’s Garden Homestead: Forest Hugelkultur, Replanting and More! | The Druid's Garden

I hope this is helpful! I love to talk about regeneration and land healing–its such a big part of my own druid path :).

8 Likes

Hi Shirley,

Well, I haven’t gone through the Permaculture Designers Course yet, and honestly would prefer to go to one hosted by an AODA Druid…(like Dana :slight_smile: ). However I did buy the Big Black Book and read it from cover to cover probably 3 or 4 years ago while I was living in Texas. So I can share with you the beginning steps to building a Permaculture plan for your property.

The very first think you do when you have land is to explore every part of the property and observe everything that happens for at least one full year. This is very important because you need to know where your winds come from, how storms blow through, how the water flows etc. During that year you are going to want to keep track of those patterns on multiple maps of the property. So hopefully, at the end of the year, you will have multiple maps showing the different patterns such as water movement, microclimates, sun rises and sun sets during the year and so on. From that point you will be ready for an experienced Permaculture Designer to come in and help you with the overall design.

In my case we have been here for two years in March of 2022 and I will probably be ready to take the next steps in the design program next year as we only just now opened up the far reaches of the property…actually some areas are still inaccessible.

One caveat, as everyone knows, trees take forever to grow and if you want a food forest/orchard you are going to want to get those trees in the ground as soon as you know where you want them to go. Every year that you wait the cost of the tree compounds. A three year old potted apple tree is probably 30 times or more expensive than a one year old tree you planted 3 years ago!

I hope this helps get you started and I am more than willing to help with any projects you might need help with.

Christopher

5 Likes

I’m interested in land management too. We live in a small town in central lower Michigan, in my childhood home, on 1/4 acre in town, but last December we bought a double-wide mobile home on 20 acres in the country. The house needs a lot of work so we’ve been focused on that.

Our land is a mix of grassland and forests and wet forests - some of the woods are on lower ground so they’re wet part of the time; there’s a small stream running through there that floods sometimes & the ground there is low anyway so it holds water. We also have a small pond with a catfish, some large mouth bass, and bluegills. And some painter turtles and a snapping turtle. So I’m interested info on ponds and wetlands. Our woods have some dead trees we want to pull out of there & cut down some leaning poplars & let more light reach the oaks. We have quite a few oaks, as well as maple & cedar. Hubby wants to tap the maples for syrup in the spring.

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with the Michigan DNR, but I bet if you contact their Private Lands Program they will have resources and recommendations for you.
https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79238_83065---,00.html

3 Likes