Awen, communicating through nature

I had a surreal experience! :open_mouth: On Monday, as I followed a sudden urge to bask in the sun outside, I stumbled upon a heart-stopping sight in my Grove. My outdoor cats were circled around an 18-inch Buddha statue, and behind it, nestled in the corner, was the tiniest bunny I’ve ever seen.

This little creature seemed to beckon me with an invisible force, urging me to come to its aid. My initial plan was to release it into the wild, far from the reach of my curious feline companions. However, upon researching local rabbits, I made a startling discovery - this little guy is an endangered Pygmy Rabbit, North America’s smallest rabbit species.

Measuring just a fraction of its potential size and devoid of the signature white tail, this precious bunny fits snugly in the palm of my hand. Learning about its endangered status hit me like a ton of bricks. In 2021 alone, wildfires ravaged half of the conservation efforts aimed at protecting these rabbits.

It’s as if the Awen orchestrated this encounter to awaken me to the dire plight of these magnificent tiny creatures.

I just thought that I would share it with all of you, maybe the message is intended to travel. The idea is that there are approximately only a few hundred of these animals left in conservation. But also a light of hope that this creature has ventured beyond the conservation zone and there could be much more!

Anyway, my heart swells with gratitude for the beauty of nature and our planet, and I can’t help but feel an overwhelming sense of responsibility to protect it.

After posting to social media, I was contacted by a retired Hanford employee who happened to be acquainted with the Pygmy Rabbit conservation program at the Hanford ALE - Protected Land. He is reaching out to the current program to find a safe habitat for Thistle (my granddaughter named it). :smiling_face:

Have you ever had an encounter like this? Called out into nature and then actually coming face to face with it? :rabbit2:

19 Likes

I hope you and the conservation group came up with a plan. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Alas, @TheDesertDruid the conservation group was understaffed and unable to provide assistance. Washington Fish and Wildlife even warned me that I was committing a crime by having the little creature in my possession. :astonished: But here’s an update from the initial situation: that tiny being grew and confirmed at least to me that it wasn’t Pygmy. Initially, it seemed shocked and possibly injured from the cats playing with it. However, after about four days, it started to perk up and began jumping around. It even started standing up and looking out of the cage. He made a complete recovery since his rough encounter with the barn cats. :black_cat: :cat2: :black_cat:
His scratches, once long and scabby, all completely healed. We ultimately decided to release him into a natural space far away from our cats just this last weekend.

I like to think that bunny will go on to do something really special someday, or maybe repopulate an area in need. :heart_eyes_cat:

10 Likes

What a precious little creature. :heartpulse: I hope it is able to survive and thrive!

3 Likes

I’m glad that there was a happy ending

1 Like