Interesting Trees

Today on a hike I saw this special tree that I wanted to share, but I’d love to see your photos of interesting trees as well! This is in Virginia, United States.

26 Likes

That’s a really cool tree! I have seen many cool trees in my days. I think I’ve got a picture or two of trees I found had interesting characters :wink:

Tree at Castlewellan grounds
Well, it was two pictures of one tree from different angles. I know I have more, but I lost a lot of photos at one point. I will have to try to build up my collection again! This was in Castlewellan, Northern Ireland by the way :wink:

20 Likes

Oh you had to throw in an Irish tree huh? Haha. Another reason I must go there. So cool how this tree branches out.

5 Likes

I don’t like pictures of me, but I have a blurry picture of me up in the tree. I felt at home in there. I loved that tree and kept going back every day of the week we spent in that area. Ireland felt more like home to me than America and if we can go back, we will. After 7.5 years there, I never felt more at home anywhere and I’ve lived in 4 countries and spent at least 3 months in 13 more countries. Ireland is home to me. I will get back there before this body departs lol

8 Likes

I recently visiting Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina and found the “Octopus Tree,” which is a southern live oak that was felled by storm winds but continued to grow limbs. Eventually the trunk was covered and each upward reaching branch looked like its own tree! I didn’t get a picture. The below is from google. Such a beautiful tree and testament to nature’s perfection!

25 Likes

The octopus tree is unique and amazing. I hope I can check it out on a future trip. Glad you shared!

4 Likes

A determined tree in southwestern Kentucky. I took the photo while on vacation last year, 20222.

20 Likes

I really enjoy when something new grows out of something old or dead. This is a drastic one, cool to see!

4 Likes

I saw an interesting tree while kayaking the North Platt in Casper, Wyoming. I think it must be two trees together but I am not certain.

15 Likes

It’s like it has a crown!

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I sent in my application a bit ago and am VERY anxiously awaiting a response!

I’m the meantime, here’s the gorgeous apple tree off of my patio.

14 Likes

Today I went to visit a roughly 800-year-old Sitka Spruce near where I live, in a pocket of old growth forest on the Oregon coast. This tree formed from a seed that fell to the forest floor in the year 1215.

Years ago during hurricane-strength winds, the tree broke about 80 feet from the ground, so all that is left is a very tall, magnificent stump. You can’t tell from the photo probably, but it has a circumference of 56 feet.

It was truly an experience! Once I put together an herbal offering mix, I will visit again.

13 Likes

A beautiful oak greeted me in a city far from home.

12 Likes

This is on a beach close to my home. These cliffs crumble regularly, so I don’t know if this tree is going to live much longer, but its exposed roots are a beautiful sight for now.

11 Likes

A pair of apple trees in a park near work. Higher up are full size green apples and the lower section is smaller red crab apples. When you get close you can see the two distinct trunks almost merging together.

12 Likes

I just really love the bark of this white pine

12 Likes

I’m really enjoying the interesting tree pics! Thanks for sharing with me.

4 Likes

This one caught my attention: Live Oak with a grapevine growing up from the ground and through it. It also has some spots of mistletoe (that have never touched the ground), and a berry patch growing beneath it all. I didn’t look for lichen, but I’m sure there’s some too.

9 Likes

These two looked like they were caught dancing, in the middle of a dip.

13 Likes

I thought there was something beautiful in such a small tree showing such abundance

9 Likes