Wester Washington Native Resources

The coastal Salish is the local natives peoples here in western Washington state. The Tulalip tribe has a very informative website including some educational materials here:

The 2021 calendar is fascinating in that it explains the calendar which is based on the moon and referred to as seasons. The seasons were originally not a set number of days, but a time of year usually revolving around weather conditions. As an area that is grey and cloudy much of the year the moon wasn’t always visible…

ƛ̕iq̓s - January is known as a period in the winter when your stomach sticks to your backbone.
səxʷpupuhigʷəd - February is known as a windy time with many hard winds.
waq̓waq̓us - March is known as the time when frogs sing.
slihibus - April is known as a time when you hear the voices of migrating cranes and swans.
pədč̓aʔəb - May is known as a time to dig roots.
pədstəgʷad - June is known as salmonberry season (lasts from early May to late June).
pədgʷədbixʷ - July is known as the native blackberry season (part of July).
pədt̕aqaʔ - August is known as the salal berry season.
pədkʷəxʷic - September is known as the time the Silver Salmon returns (the run, not the 30 days).
pədxʷit̕xʷit̕il - October is known as the time that many leaves fall.
pədƛ̕xʷayʔ - November is known as the time when the chum salmon return (near Thanksgiving).
səxʷšic̓əlwaʔs or pədšic̓əlwaʔs - December is known as the time to sheath the paddles.
sɬukʷaləb - The thirteenth moon according to Chief William Shelton was called the “Little moon.”
pədx̌ʷiwaac - The thirteenth moon according to Harriette Shelton was called the “Whistle of Robin. This moon was placed sometime in the middle of the year.”

6 Likes

I know of quiet a few tribal communities that do that. The Ojibwe also use a moon/weather system. As a kid I was taught to watch for weather patterns, and which patterns related to the changing season vs a high or low during it. Much of the rituals I practice surrounding the seasons aren’t dates on a calendar, or even solar dates, they’re based on cues from the weather.

This was part of my training about the region. The weather was incredibly important. That region of Lake Huron has a history of intense storms. (Side note: there’s some crazy stories from the British Fort in the region established during the war of 1812 because of the severe winter storms they weren’t prepared for)

6 Likes

The actual calendar links for past years are fun also. Thanks for the share.

Here is a page from the neighboring Puyallup tribal language program that explains a bit about how birds and elements are named, as well as a nice overview of the indigenous language regionally.

https://www.puyalluptriballanguage.org/about/

3 Likes

Here is another bunch of fantastic resources developed in collaboration with tribal elders and various tribal communities in the Salish territories.

I love the work happening here, so maybe other Druid folks will find some of these resources equally valuable.

3 Likes

@Babs, you post some good stuff! Thanks so much for this! I look forward to reading more about yarrow, who I’m a little obsessed with at the moment.

1 Like

Elise’s blog is a local Ovate’s paradise also.
I can get lost here.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the link. I also love the smell of yarrow. (Interestingly, my partner can hardly smell it at all.) The land we steward has yarrow as a key ground species, especially in the riparian areas. I’ve harvested some leaves planning to make some oil and then a salve. It’s been so fun to learn more, and she’s just so darn PRETTY. Swoon.

2 Likes

Scott Kloos has some good information and his books, though a bit pricey, are very infromative.

1 Like