Books that you are reading l

Hi All,

I’d love to know what you are all reading or watching these days. This can be nonfiction or fiction , movie or series.- maybe with a little thought about your ideas.

I am reading - Druid by Anne McCaffrey - you t is really good. It’s about a teenager who wants to become a Druid and is learning the ropes. It is set in French Gaul maybe around -5-10 Bc ish. I love the path the young Druid is taking and the explication of the people.

I just finished - Full Bloom and All that Glimmers on HBOmax . Full bloom was gorgeous however, some of the practices they did such as spray painting the flowers was not good.

All That Glitters was fantastic because of the creations they made also the community of building something.

Oh lastly, I am reading Sacred Actions by our very own AODA member Dana Odriscoll

Let me know what you are reading.?

Xx
Stephen

5 Likes

Oh dear lol. I’m one of those people that reads multiple books at the same time :sweat_smile:

My current reading list is:

The Book of Druidry, The Mabinogion, A Sand County Almanac, Weaving Word Wisdom, The Druids Book of Ceremonies, Prayers, and Songs, and Sacred Actions.

Wow! Now that it’s all listed like that - I really need to finish some these before I start anymore books! :rofl:Lol.

Edit: Oh shoot. I forgot one lol Hubby is printing me off the Scholar’s Primer for my ogham research. That’s a beast of a book. Yeah… no more new books on my list for a bit I think :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’m also a “multiple books on the go” reader… and currently “multiple book clubs” person. Currently I’m reading:

• “A Bond Undone: Legend of the Condor Heroes 2” by Jin Yong – wuxia novel, recently translated, written in the 50s. So far, almost all kung fu fight scenes.
  • “The Conductors” by Nicole Glover – historical fantasy murder mystery, set late 1800s Philadelphia. Includes amazing sigil magic with constellations.
  • “Geomancy in Theory and Practice” by Stephen Skinner – book on geomancy, chosen for its high proportion of historical content.
  • “On Being Included” by Sara Ahmed – book on doing equity and inclusion work in post-secondary education. For a book club I help facilitate which is comprised of university educators.
  • “Peterborough and the Kawarthas” – book on local environment; part of my earth path reading.

For television… I’m watching Stargate SG1 (we’re in the final season, having never seen it before, and I’ve found it fun but WOW ten seasons is a lot!) and Shadow & Bone on Netflix (I haven’t read the books it’s based on, but I like the camera work + effects in it).

I’ve got Sacred Actions here but I have not started it yet – looking forward to it!

3 Likes

I am reading a few, but the major ones are The Other Side of Virtue by Brendan Myers, which is “where our virtues really came from, what they really mean, and where they might be taking us,” Deep Ancestors: Practicing the Religion of the Proto-Indo-Europeans by Ceisiwr Serith and Arcana Mundi: Magic and The Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds by Georg Luck. Sacred Actions is waiting on my shelf for me to finish something.

My wife and I have been watching Eureka and Loki, mostly.

4 Likes

I am rereading The Druid Revival Reader by JMG and The Book of Druidry by Nuin working on my second degree essay.

2 Likes

Here is the current pile, it changes.
Binder is an academic copy of the scholars primer.

9 Likes

I think I read Northwest Trees for my Earth Path studies.

2 Likes

That’s what I do … I keep a pile in a certain place off my regular book shelves so I can go straight to the pile I’m reading without having to sift through books (though there is still a bit of sifting lol). Now you make me want to go take a pic lol Decided to take a pic also as it is much easier than typing.

8 Likes

So much easier than typing! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m currently reading through The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, Theological Education Equivalency by Sandra Lee Harris, Essential Chaplain Skill Sets: Discovering Effective Ways to Provide Excellent Spiritual Care by Keith Evans, and The Greening of Religion by Jonathan Leader.

7 Likes

I finally got another one to add to the list and just arrived today! WooHoo!

8 Likes

Currently in process:

Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (one of my all-time favorite fiction writers)
The Serpent’s Curse by Lisa Maxwell
This is Water by David Foster Wallace
The Kybalion by the Three Initiates
The Saint, the Surfer, and the CEO by Robin Sharma

3 Likes

oh man, i just found this great rabbit hole.
text from 1894 on druidism.
https://www.libraryireland.com/Druids/Contents.php

5 Likes

Besides my stack of Candidate year books:

The Spirits of the Celtic Gods and Goddesses
The Other Bible (Gnostic and apocrypha collection)
Tao Te Ching
Tomie - Junji Ito (just to have some fiction in there)

4 Likes

Wow, some very interesting book suggestions so far!

I think im going to get a list out of your own comments!

I would like to comment on a book that i just finished The well at the world’s end by William Morris.

The first truly fantasy book in the West, The book on wich Tolkien, Lord Dunsany and others drawed inspiration. JMG told about it some years ago, i wrote the name somewhere and this summer i actually took the time and read it.

I’ts marvellous, in every sense of the world, and despite it’s length, not heavy at all.
Also, it’s extremely diferent and original, in many aspects, of the kind of fantasy we read today.

I recomend it earnestly!

3 Likes

Curse you babs…lol, just kidding many blessings my friend, adding to my already unmanageable reading list you did!

1 Like

Well at least that one is free. :wink:

2 Likes

In addition to the books on my Candidate list, I am currently reading:

The Druid’s Path by JMG
The Occult Book also by JMG
Four Elements of the Wise by Ivo Dominguez
The Revolutionary Genius of Plants by Stefano Mancuso

TV I am currently watching is Picard season 2 (OMG) and Vikings: Valhalla

5 Likes

Ha ha … I just mentioned in another post how I was going to have to add Paramount + just so I could watch Picard season 2 … great minds think alike :wink: lol

3 Likes

Hello Dianne and welcome to the forum! I haven’t heard of that trilogy but I will have to check it out! :wink:

1 Like