World Druidry Survey - UPDATE

You are most welcome, @Lightwhite919. And thank you for the encouragement. I am still wading through SO MUCH DATA that it has become overwhelming. Good to know people are still waiting for the results!

Also, welcome to the AODA discussion boards.

2 Likes

Deep breathes, center “self” and allow the knowledge of “how” . You got this girl!:wink:

1 Like

Oh, yes, we are waiting for the results! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just for fun, here is a copy of the current rendition of the TOC for the World Druidry Book…

“World Druidry: A Globalizing Path of Nature Spirituality” by Larisa A. White

(This is still very much subject to change, as I am at this point only finishing up the first draft of Chapter 3, and working on the analyses for Chapters 4 and 5. You can probably tell from the page numbering which sections have been outlined/drafted, and which are still place-holders awaiting content. I am still striving to have the book completed by next year, Beltane-ish, about the same time as the Mt. Haemus paper comes out. Philip C-G still has to decide which bit he wants me to focus on for that paper. All of it will be in the book, though I may be a bit overly-ambitious with my deadline goal. If the work is not yet brilliant, I will delay publication of the book until it is really ready. But… it is coming!)

Table of Contents

Preface …iii

Acknowledgments …v

Chapter 1: Concerning “Druids” …1

What does it mean to be a Druid, circa 2020 C.E.? …1

A Brief Review of Existing Literature …3

Chapter 2: The World Druidry Survey …5

Participant-Researcher Background & Motivations …6

Research Design …8

Questionnaire Development Process…9

Encouraging Global Participation …11

Protecting Participant Privacy and Data Security…12

The Unprecedented Response…13

Making Sense of the Stories (Analytic Techniques) …16

Chapter 3: A Geography of World Druidry…19

Modern Druids and their Natural Environments …20

Connections to Celtic Culture and the Lands of Ancient Druids…21

Modern Druids and their Local Communities …23

Privacy & Safety Concerns of Modern Druids …23

Modern Druids at Home …39

Druidry, with Children …48

The Role of Geography in the Evolution of World Druidry…55

Chapter 4: Crafting a Personal Path of Druidry …99

Overview of Factors Influencing Druids’ Spiritual Paths …99

Influential Authors, Books, and Media …101

The Impact of Druidry Groups & Curricula …103

The Process of Becoming a Druid…103

Chapter 5: Themes & Variations in Druid Theology …105

The Many Varieties of Druid Theology…107

The Role of Ancestors in Druidry Practice …229

Religions and Spiritual Traditions Blended with Druidry …229

Global Variations in Druid Theology …229

Intergroup Variations in Druid Theology …229

Emergent Themes in Druid Theology…229

Chapter 6: Druid Rituals & Celebrations…230

Elements of Druid Ritual…230

Druid Festivals and Holidays …230

Places of Druid Ritual & Celebration …230

Group and Solitary Practice in Druid Ritual & Celebration …230

Global Variations in Druid Ritual & Celebration …231

Intergroup Variations in Druid Ritual & Celebration …232

Emergent Themes in Druid Ritual & Celebration…232

Chapter 7: Sacred Duties in Druid Life …233

Nature Related Activities …233

Artistic Activities …234

Educational & Activist Activities …235

Leadership Activities…235

Fields of Study and Scholarship …236

Chapter 8: Druidry’s Spiritual Common Core …237

Afterword …238

Survey Instrument as Teaching Tool…238

Appendix A: World Druidry Survey Instrument…241

Appendix B: World Druidry Demographics …242

Appendix C: List of Participating Druid Groups …246

Index …253

Notes & Bibliography…254

19 Likes

Wow - good job Larisa! This looks like a mammoth project. I can’t wait to see the finished book!

2 Likes

I guess that part has already been drafted… :dizzy_face: I’m really curious, not only about this, but about the entire book!

3 Likes

Well, the first round of analysis is complete for the theology bit (the high-level analysis), and spaghetti thrown at the wall – meaning major code counts are done, and most richly illustrative quotes pulled from the piles of data and organized into clusters of related themes in the manuscript. In fact, some of the most interesting and surprising (to me) findings seem to be coming from there. But I am still just now doing the second round of coding, looking for the commonalities and differences among the unexpected, meta-themes…

That section is likely to get longer, and then shorter, as the analysis progresses.

5 Likes

I imagine it’s too late for me to take the survey, but still want to ask if it is or not?

Sorry. Too far into the analysis now to add any more responses. But if you wanted to take it for the learning experience (many people told me they liked doing it for that reason), let me know, and I can send you a copy of the questions.

3 Likes

Yes please, I would like that :sun_with_face:

1 Like

PM me with an email address, and I’ll send you the pdf today.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this, Larisa! So exciting to see where this project is going!

2 Likes

Can i jump aboard for learning purposes also?
Warnergirl999@gmail.com
:boom:

1 Like

Coming up for a brief bit of air, as I round the home stretch on this project.

Fun news is that word of the “ongoing” World Druidry Survey finally reached the Christian fundamentalists on Facebook, and my Christmas gift from them was a DDos attack that took down my old website. I have had to create (from scratch) an entirely new, hand-coded, static html website to replace it. Aaack. At least there is no longer a back-end for them to hack.

In any case, the latest update (and cover art!) on the World Druidry Survey results, and the resulting book, are now up on my new site. (larisa-a-white.com or worlddruidry.com for any interested in keeping tabs on the forthcoming publication dates)

Almost there…

:sweat:

12 Likes

Glad to hear you are doing well. Disappointed to hear that your website was the target of a DDos attack. I will go check out your new site. :slight_smile: Take care!

3 Likes

I am looking forward to the release of your book and will be ordering a copy!

1 Like

Larisa,

Sorry to hear that! It’s good to see you around though, and I’m excited about the update! I’m looking forward to the book. :smile:

1 Like

Such a bummer that you had to re-create your website! As if you didn’t already have enough on your plate :wink: The new site looks good though, and I like the cover art for the World Druidry book - can’t wait to read it!

2 Likes

I look forward to reading the book, and I’m so sorry you experienced that level of bigotry.

Thanks for your work on this, I am looking forward to reading it!